A national movement to make 21st century learning a reality for all students
Many school systems have engaged their communities to develop and implement a Portrait of a Graduate—a collective vision articulating the community's aspirations for its students. Locally developed, but globally positioned, the Portrait of a Graduate serves as a North Star for system transformation.
Battelle for Kids and EdLeader21 have joined forces to make 21st century learning a reality for all students. Together, we intend to unite education leaders, in partnership with communities, foundations, and other education-focused organizations, around a shared goal.
Through the 21by2021 Movement, launched during the February 2018 AASA National Conference, we want to effect a tipping point in this country that creates a positive momentum toward making 21st century learning a reality for all students. Together we will:
- Influence national discourse around the future of our nation’s schools
- Make a compelling case for why change is needed, and how a locally-developed Portrait of a Graduate is a key lever for change in a school community
- Work with school system leaders in the design process through on-site consultation, online tools, and resources like PortraitofaGraduate.org
Join the Movement! Submit Your Portrait of a Graduate
Upload your district's Portrait. And then, keep the momentum going toward making 21st century learning a reality for all students:
- Share the movement with colleagues by inviting them to participate at PortraitofaGraduate.org.
- Celebrate your district's leadership in the #21by2021 movement by using these images and captions for social media.
- Become a member of EdLeader21. Contact us to learn how!
We strive to have 21 percent of school systems (that's nearly 2,700 school systems!) meaningfully engaged in this work by 2021 to create national momentum to ultimately influence the educational experiences for all students across the United States.
Total number of Portraits submitted to the 21by2021 Movement since February 2018
Already joined the movement?
Celebrate your district’s leadership in the #21by2021 movement—choose an image and caption below for social media, newsletters, and your website! #21by2021